Possible Benefits of Placentophagy (consuming human placenta)
- Ease mood changes and emotional tenderness during the postpartum period
- Decrease postpartum depression
- Increase and improve breastmilk production
- Provides needed nutrients to a postpartum mother
- Restoration of iron levels in maternal blood
- Increased release of the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to normal size and encourages bonding with the infant
- Increase in CRH, a stress-reducing hormone
The process-what happens to your placenta
- Before handling the placenta, there is a thorough sanitization of work space and all equipment. Strict OSHA standards are observed.
- The caul or membrane is removed and the placenta is rinsed of excess blood, blood clots and debris.
- The umbilical cord is removed and shaped into a heart for a keepsake.
- If the client wants, the placenta is steamed with lemon, jalapeño and ginger. This our most popular preparation.
- The placenta is sliced thinly and placed into a dedicated dehydrator.
- The dehydrated placenta is ground into a powder and the powder is encapsulated.
- Most placentas yield 100-150 capsules, but everyone's placenta is different.
Three Different Preparation Methods
- Steamed Preparation (Traditional prep) : This is the most common preparation method. The placenta is steamed lightly with ingredients drawn from Asian medicine (lemon, hot pepper, ginger) that are supportive to a body recovering from pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period.
- Raw Preparation: The placenta is not cooked before it is dehydrated and it is kept at 105 degrees or below during the whole process. Raw capsules must be handled very carefully so they don't mold. Keeping them frozen or in the fridge is adequate.
- Smoothie Prep: The placenta is frozen and cut into pea-sized chunks that can be kept in the freezer and added to smoothies.
Placenta Mother Tincture
- Two 4 ounce mother tinctures can be kept indefinitely in the fridge
- made from a small piece of the placenta submerged in 100 proof vodka for 6 weeks
- mother tinctures can be used in the future to make homeopathic products
- less potent than capsules, but will last a long time after the capsules have been used
- can boost milk production, support mom or baby's immune system, combat fatigue, ease PMS mood changes (when menses returns)
The information on this page has not been evaluated by the FDA. The services offered by Nourishing Roots are not intended to diagnose or treat any condition. Mothers who choose to consume their placenta, in whatever form, take full responsibility of their own health when using these remedies. Please research placentophagy on your own. Nourishing Roots is happy to prepare your placenta safely, hygienically and with great care, for your own use.